Leadership learning and organisational development are two sides of the same coin...
Action Learning International is concerned with business focused action learning
Action Learning International helps leaders address real organisational problems and improve business performance.
Action Learning as an approach for driving business performance was originally proposed by Professor Reg Revans in the 1940s and over the years has led to significant international successes such as:
- Increasing productivity in the mining sector
- Improving efficiency & effectiveness of care in hospitals
- Helping secure major international contracts for Trans-Siberian gas pipelines for the General Electric Company
- Improving national productivity
- Reducing stock costs across in multinational companies
Members of Action Learning International worked directly with Revans and this experience has strongly influenced the development of our Action Learning Question approach.
What prompted Reg Revans to develop his ideas into the process we now call action learning?
As a research physicist in the 1930s, working with Nobel prize-winning scientists including Ernest Rutherford and Albert Einstein, Revans realised significant problems were best addressed by:
- Groups of people personally involved with the problems working as 'comrades in adversity' (he later called these groups 'sets')
- Starting by asking insightful questions of each other, recognising set members expertise and experience and 'leaving the ego at the door'
- Using comparison as a form of research
- Focusing on action and recognising that learning follows from action
Revans later took his ideas into industry, the health service and academia where the benefits were well proven in supporting organisational change and personal development. Over the past 80 years different interpretations of the Revans approach have evolved.
Action Learning International follows the original Revans concept of action learning.
Our approach has been applied more recently across a range of sectors and countries:
- Transformation of Not For Profit organisations linked to reform of the sector (Australia)
- Creating organisational development capabiity in te UK Civil Service across all ministries & departments
- Business growth projects linked to leadership & talent development in a successful motor sales business (UK)
- Improving customer service in the a major fleet management business (UK and Australia)
- Building capacity & agility across ministries & agencies in the civil/public service (UK & Zambia)
- Cost savings and efficiencies in the steel industry (Australia)
- Driving quality of care and staff retention in care homes (UK)
- Improving efficiency of customer service teams in financial services (UK)
- Service & productivity improvement in the childcare sector (UK)
- Supply chain efficiencies in the telecomms sector (Finland)
We have developed a robust action learning approach, called...
enable leaders and managers to focus very clearly on the challenges they face in manageably sized projects. They are now being used across commercial, government and service sectors in the UK and internationally to address strategic issues and support leadership and organisation development. This successful approach has made a significant contribution in many areas including:
Improving productivity & flexibility
Identifying and retaining talent
Maintaining quality standards
Several universities, higher educational institutions and professional bodies internationally have accredited the approach. This enables participants on action learning programmes to achieve professional and academic recognition and qualifications. We make education relevant.
To learn more about action learning and our approach:
Founded in the UK, we provide leadership and professional development support to clients in these sectors:
- Commercial & corporate
- Public service & government
- Professional & consultancy services
We work out of centres in London, Sydney and Melbourne with 20 accredited and experienced Action Learning Facilitators and business consutants.
View the latest from our twitter feed.
Cross Organisational Not for Profit Action Learning Question Cohort launched Sydney actionlearninginternational.com/news
Optimum NFP - Employee Training in the Nonprofit Sector - What can we learn from international research? optimumnfp.com.au/news-letter/73...
This enables us to provide design, delivery and accreditation services for organisational initiatives including:
- Change Management
- Leadership & talent development
- Learning Organisation
- Accreditation frameworks
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Corporate academies
- Organisation development (OD)
We provide educational and professional development support for:
- Individual managers & leaders
- Commercial ogranisations
- Consultancy services
- Professional service organisations
- Public service ministries & agencies
- Not-for-profit organistations
- Professional bodies and associations